Spring is finally in the air!
Well, not everyday…but we are finally getting some warmer days and seeing a little bit of green popping up everywhere, promising that spring is well on its way and puffy-jacket-free days are just around the corner.
With the plentiful abundance of strawberries we’ve been having here lately, due to the incredible Queensland strawberry season, I have been looking for ways to use them up that are slightly more sophisticated than just munching on them by the handful (which we have done A LOT of you guys). I have a few strawberry recipes lined up, starting with this gloriously refreshing and dead easy strawberry lemonade.
It is nothing fancy, just a union of three simple ingredients that come together to make the strawberries shine. I’ve been making so much of this these past few weeks, it’s getting kinda ridiculous. The result is incredibly fresh, perfectly sweet and tangy, and I cannot get enough of that crazy pretty colour!
Lemonade screams of summer to me, so sipping on this pink-hued version has been brightening up the last of my winter-infused days.
Think of this recipe as more of a guideline, if you will. The amount of lemon juice you add depends entirely on your personal preference, as is the quantity of honey. I find that honey adds a delicious depth of flavour to the drink, and brings out the natural sweetness of the strawberries even more, but as always, feel free to use whatever sweetener you fancy.
My personal preference? HEAPS of lemon juice (I have always been a fan of sourness), a touch of honey and the slightest hint of vanilla extract. I also love serving this with a good splash of soda water for added fizziness…yum!
Can it be summer already?
- • 500g strawberries, hulled & halved
- • Juice of 3-5 large lemons, or to taste
- • ⅓ cup of honey, or to taste
- • 1 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- • cold water if needed
- Place the strawberries and lemon juice in a blender, and blend on high till completely pureed. Start with a smaller amount of lemon juice and add more later if you want.
- Add the honey and vanilla, blend to combine. Have a taste, adjust sweetness and sourness as you like. If the mixture is too thick, add a little cold water until it reaches desired consistency.
- Serve cold as is, or with a little soda water for added fizziness.