So. Valentine’s day. Yeah, I’m not the biggest fan. Not that I have anything against love (I love love!), I just really hate how ridiculously commercial and just nauseatingly cliché it all is. The stress of the day alone has caused my husband and I many a miserable outings over our thirteen years (holy crap I’m old!!) together. So horribly forced and fake. We don’t do it anymore. We usually just go out for dinner a couple of nights before/after the day and make fun of all the people who are gonna pay triple what we did just because it’s Valentine’s day. HAH!
In any case, whether we celebrate it conventionally or not, I am not one to miss out on a chance to express my love for the people I care about. So, dear readers & followers, this is my way of saying I love you! You guys are fabulous. Your support and encouragement has made all the difference in the world to me since I’ve started this blog, and I thank you wholeheartedly.This recipe is my gift to you. (not that I am the person to invent it, but I feel like it is such a precious find that I just must share it with you!)
This recipe is great because:
1- it only takes a few minutes and a food processor to make. No cooking!
2- it is insanely good for you. No guilt whatsoever. Not one gram. None.
3- it is so healthy that u can feed it to your kids, pretend you are giving them a treat, when in fact you are feeding them one of the most nutritionally dense foods on earth! They will NEVER know.
4- all you need is a handful of simple and available ingredients
5- it is SO decadent and intensely chocolatey, it will satisfy your chocolate cravings instantly! And all you need is a tiny portion.
6- look how fancyyyy it looks! Impress yo people and brag about it all you want.
Now to those of you who have never heard of this concept before and are worried that you will taste the avocado; relax. That is not even a possibility, I guarantee it. The avocado contains a ton of healthy fat and has an incredibly creamy texture, while at the same time having a really mild taste, so the chocolate flavour COMPLETELY takes over here. You will be left with the most velvety, rich and luxurious chocolatey mousse ever and you will be hooked on how easily and instantly it can be prepared for an impulsive dessert or treat.
Now go ahead…make this for the people you love, for there is no greater expression of love than food…especially if it looks this good, tastes this divine and is THIS good for you!
- • 1 large overripe avocado (about 250g net., after pitting & peeling)
- • 4 heaped tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 2 tbsp. honey/maple syrup
- • a pinch of fine salt
- • fresh berries and/or crushed nuts for serving (optional)
- Halve the avocado, remove the pit and scoop the flesh out into the bowl of a food processor. Add all remaining ingredients and process until smooth, stopping to scrape the bowl a few times to ensure everything is mixed.
- Have a taste and adjust for sweetness as desired. If you find that the mixture is way too thick and clumpy, add a couple of teaspoons of milk to loosen up, although I don’t think you will need to.
- Place in small bowls or teacups, cover and chill for at least 15 minutes (if you can possibly resist). Top with berries and/or crushed nuts and serve! This mousse keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days…although I highly doubt it will last that long!