Winter is in full swing. So is my pregnancy, my nesting instincts, my mood swings and my endless food cravings. Things are a little intense around here.
In saying that, we are settling into Melbourne quite nicely. We are already rather fond of this city, and the more we explore it (albeit slooowly) the more we find there is lo like. Work is finally starting to dwindle down, as I plan to finish some final work for clients by the end of this month, and hopefully get to spend the final month of my pregnancy fully indulging my instincts and resting my aching body. Shooting food videos is HARD when you have a watermelon sized kicking machine attached to your torso!!
Speaking of cravings though, I have found that my most pronounced ones have been sweet cravings. I start sniffing around for anything sweet the moment we finish whatever we are eating, and cannot stand the thought of savoury breakfasts. It’s just as well that I was tasked with creating a sweet recipe to celebrate the divine winter strawberries we are blessed with from Queensland these days. They smell and taste like candy, like the strawberries of my childhood, and beg me to buy some whenever I pass by a pile of punnets while shopping.
This Strawberry and Almond Crumble is the perfect result of my cravings, these strawberries, and the currently extremely chilly Melbourne weather. I’ve made it for breakfast, as well as for dessert, and it just so wonderfully hits the spot!
The flavours are simple and left to sing on their own without much embellishment, and the whole thing takes mere minutes to put together. As it bakes, the house is warmed up and filled with the sweetest, most fragrant berry almond aroma that’ll make your knees go weak and your stomach rumble impatiently. As soon as I pulled it out of the oven, I topped mine with a cool dollop of creme fraiche as it still bubbled and oozed out of the ramekin, and it instantly made everything feel like it’ll be ok; baby, work, settling in and all.
*This Post is in collaboration with Harris Farm Markets
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 500g strawberries, halved
- 1.5 tbsp. caster sugar
- ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- juice from half a lemon, about 1 tbsp.
- FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- ½ cup (70g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (25g) almond meal
- ¼ cup (20g) flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- 60g butter, cold, cut into cubes
- TO SERVE:
- Either mascarpone cheese, creme fraiche, greek yoghurt, whipped cream or even vanilla ice-cream!
- Preheat oven to 190C
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling. Stir well, then set aside while you prepare the topping.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, almond meal, flaked almonds, brown sugar and salt, and whisk to mix evenly (or use your fingers). Add the cubed butter, and use your fingertips to rub it into the dry mixture repeatedly until the mixture resembles sandy breadcrumbs. This could take a few (3-5) minutes, so be patient!
- Pour the filling into a medium sized baking dish (or divide among two individually sized ones like the ones I used pictured) and spread evenly. Top with the crumble topping so that it covers the filling right to the edges of the baking dish, then bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the mixture underneath is bubbling.
- Serve warm, topped with whichever creamy topping you choose!
You may use a mixture of berries, both frozen and fresh work well.